Preview audiences for Pilgrims Musa and Sheri in the New World had a rare opportunity: not only did they get to see the very first performances of this World Premiere romantic comedy, they also got to add their thoughts and reactions via comment cards, to help the production leading up to Opening Night. Well, we had an amazing Opening Night last night, and to celebrate this wonderful new play, here are my favorite 8 comments left by preview audiences. See even more great words from audience members here!
- What a thrilling play! It’s the perfect blend of familiar and foreign. The script challenges even as it comforts. There’s an infectious energy onstage, and I have to say I’m especially proud and more likely to recommend it, knowing it’s homegrown. Well done!
- Great to see this show come to fruition – I saw the reading [with Icicle Creek Theatre Festival] back in August 2010.
- I like the realistic portrayal of the identity crises that immigrants feel, especially first-generation Muslims – growing up in America and struggling between being “American” and keeping their roots. Very realistic emotions shown.
- Such full honesty of acting, and writing with such great sensitive changes of attitudes and emotions: tenderness, anger, laughter as you weep with the ending…so often, one hears, “this needs work.” I’d say it’s ready!
- This is one of the best ACT plays I’ve ever seen. Thank you.
- I liked that it sympathetically portrayed the immigrant experience without being overly sentimental.
- Incredible script – so interesting and insightful. Acting was terrific. Great job all around.
- This play was the best, most enlightening and thoughtful play I’ve ever seen. Yussef [El Guindi] illustrates his characters brilliantly, and with such depth; I definitely was NOT bored. Thank you Yussef for sharing your brilliance with us.
Pilgrims Musa and Sheri in the New World runs now through July 17 at ACT!